Acronis SCS VSS Doctor
Diagnose and repair Volume Shadow Copy Service issues
What is Acronis SCS VSS Doctor?
Volume Shadow Copy Service (aka VSS, Shadow Copy, or Volume Snapshot Service) is a built-in Windows technology that allows snapshots of PC files or volumes to be taken, even when they are in use. Most backup software programs rely on VSS to perform backup and recovery operations.
There are many reasons VSS might not work properly, causing your backup software to fail. But diagnosing the problem can be tricky given the number of system components involved.
Acronis SCS VSS Doctor helps everyday users, IT professionals, and support specialists quickly identify the problem and efficiently fixes the most common Volume Shadow Copy Service issues. Acronis SCS’ tool allows you to:
- Diagnose and repair
- Diagnose only
- Generate reports
Diagnose and Repair
- Configuration and status of VSS-related services: Volume Shadow Copy, Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider, COM+ Event System
- VSS COM-interface registration (not supported for Windows XP)
- Configuration of VSS providers
- Access rights for VSS (not supported for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003)
- Configuration of VSS shadow storage (not supported for Windows XP)
- Access rights for NTFS volumes
- Free space available on disks. Provides drive letter assignment for “hidden” volumes
- Current I/O loads of disks
- List of VSS-related errors/warning from Windows Event Log
- List of faulted VSS writers
Why you need a VSS repair tool
If you encounter Volume Shadow Copy Service error or snapshot-like error messages like the ones below, it means the VSS of your backup software failed and you’ll want Acronis SCS VSS Doctor for your shadow copy troubleshooting.
- VSS writer… has failed to process the snapshot
- Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy…
- Failed to create a snapshot / Unable to create volume snapshot
- Volume Shadow Copy Error…
- Snapshot preparation failed
Download Acronis SCS VSS Doctor
For .NET Framework 3.5
Compatible with Windows 7/XP/Vista, Windows Server 2003/2008
For .NET Framework 4.5
Compatible with Windows 8 and later, Windows Server 2012 and later