Whether you are a US public sector agency or a managed service provider (MSP), you know the answer to this question. It does not matter whether your organization is a small US city or a large healthcare organization; you need a cybersecurity solution. Read on and discover why investing in cybersecurity is now more critical than ever.
New Emerging Cybersecurity Technology
Cybersecurity solutions are advancing fast, staying ahead of modern threats that have become more dynamic and sophisticated. The next-generation cyber solutions incorporate these six latest technologies.
- Behavioral heuristics analysis detects malware based on analysis of what a program does. For example, if the program “misbehaves” (e.g., changing other files, modifying legitimate files to behave differently, etc.), it is flagged as malware. This approach has evolved into behavioral heuristics where rules can track the programs’ behaviors. For example, if legitimate software is not intended to inject itself into systems processes but does so, behavioral heuristics detection will flag the software as infected. Behavioral heuristics analysis is starting to analyze user behavior as well. For example, if the typing style of a particular user suddenly looks different, the technology can detect this change and flag the user as suspect.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)/Deep Learning (DL) is being incorporated into many types of software applications – and cybersecurity software is no exception. An AI approach is like heuristics analysis, except that the ML algorithm analyzes what the program/file does and analyzes what it looks like and some of its static characteristics. The simplest way to accomplish this is to train the system with millions of classified good and bad samples to learn what a malicious file looks like and create a model for it. Any new file can then be compared to the trained model and decide if it is similar or not. They apply the same principle to events on the network or observed behavior traits. The most sophisticated systems can continuously improve their classification algorithms by constant training. AI-based systems are good if you are looking to automate manual tasks and for analyzing large data sets to quickly find similarities or abnormal activity.
- Zero Trust, also known as the principle of least privilege, is not necessarily new but is becoming more popular these past few years. Zero Trust architecture treats every incoming connection as a potential threat until proven otherwise. For example, you only trust an employee to access the data they need to do their job. If the employee believes they need access to more data, they can request the Chief Security Officer (CSO), who grants or denies access based on the circumstances.
- Data loss prevention (DLP) has also been around for a while but is becoming one of the most popular cybersecurity technologies. All organizations recognize the need for it, especially with extortion gangs, which incorporate ransomware, data theft leaks, DDoS attacks, anything they can do to extort an agency. DLP will alert an agency if data is being pulled out of its systems. Typically, some type of AI is involved, which can recognize and stop unusual behaviors on the network (e.g., unusual flows of data).
- Advanced email security blocks email-borne threats before they reach the end-user. These include spam, phishing, advanced persistent threats (APTs), and zero-day attacks. Email is a primary attack vector, with many ransomware attacks beginning with an email.
- Hardware authentication is a new approach to ensuring data security. It requires embedding a security chip in a user’s device and ensuring the device is approved to access a specific system. This adds another layer of security on top of password use. For example, one issue with hardware authentication is that employees would be required to load the software on their mobile phones, leading to privacy implications.
Why Cybersecurity for the US Public Sector?
Cybercriminals are not going away. In fact, they are stepping up their attacks, constantly changing tactics, and using the most advanced technologies. Attackers do not discriminate based on an organization’s size, location, or industry. Instead, they look for the best opportunities to steal data and money. If your organization does not have adequate data security in place, it is a certainty that you will suffer a breach, and the costs can be high. These include:
- Costs to recondition your systems (e.g., upgrading your systems, preparing for the next attack, implementation of lessons learned, the costs for internal IT attack response and remediation, and consulting fees to recover from the current incident)
- Loss of constituent trust, adverse press reports, and brand damage
- Legal consequences and compliance penalties through data protection regulations such as HIPAA
- Follow-on attacks that misuse stolen data such as passwords
- Blackmail by cybercriminals who threaten to publish the data
- Loss of proprietary information
The right solution can stop attacks before they even start.
Why Cybersecurity for Managed Service Providers (MSPs)?
Cybersecurity is the next logical step if you sell backup to your clients. With the right solution, you can enhance your backup service with essential cyber protection that secures all client workloads at no cost. This can help you stay ahead of your competitors and improve your profitability. By consolidating multiple point solutions from different vendors, you can also cut your cyber protection costs by up to 50%, simplify software management, improve workflow automation, and reduce the security risks caused by using a patchwork of tools.
More Powerful Than Cybersecurity – Cyber Protection
While cybersecurity can protect your organization from a breach, it does not protect your systems, applications, and data fully. Alternatively, cyber protection is an integrated solution that combines cybersecurity, backup, and disaster recovery. It ensures systems, apps, and data are secure and protected, no matter what happens – a malicious attack, deleted data resulting from human error, corrupted data due to hardware/software malfunctions, a human-made or natural disaster – any event that causes data loss.
Acronis SCS Offers a Certified-Compliant Cyber Protection Solution
Acronis SCS offers the US public sector and MSPs an integrated cyber protection solution that natively integrates cybersecurity, data protection, and management to protect endpoints, systems, and data.
Acronis SCS Cyber Protect Cloud provides agencies and organizations with:
- Certified-compliant cloud solution. Cybersecurity certifications like FIPS 140-2, HIPAA-compliance, and CJIS hold our products to extremely high standards.
- Advanced Management. Streamline cybersecurity and endpoint protection management, vulnerability assessments and patch management, remote desktop, and drive health.
- Advanced anti-malware security. Increase detection rate and responsiveness to the latest cyberthreats with advanced, next-generation anti-malware, including URL filtering and automated backup scanning.
- Fast and reliable recovery. Reduce downtime with fast and reliable recovery of your apps, systems, and data on any device, from any incident.
Acronis SCS Cyber Protect Cloud provides MSPs with one integrated solution that eliminates complexity, so service providers can protect clients better, keep support costs down and:
- Reduce risk. Minimize your clients’ security risks with integrated cyber protection covering 100% of their endpoints and unlock unique capabilities not available from your current security vendor.
- Increase profitability. Strengthen your security services and unlock easy upsell and cross-sell opportunities built on one integrated solution.
- Lower costs. Cut cyber protection costs by up to 50% by consolidating vendors instead of purchasing multiple point solutions from various vendors.
- US-based support and data centers. Eliminate frustrating support calls with 100% US based support and ensure data security with US data centers and the assurance that no data will ever leave US soil.
Contact us today to learn more.